I had to share this because when I asked my husband if he had seen the fabric bin I sewed, he said no and I said, “But you moved it off the couch,” and he said, “You made that? I thought it was one we bought at the store.”
So yah, it’s pretty nice.
Here’s the pattern, a fine 2008 vintage Butterick that I, no doubt, picked up for a dollar at a Hancock Fabrics sale (RIP Hancock).
I bought this fabric at Walmart because it’s nearby and it’s cheap. They also have a fairly nice (if small) selection of decor and fashion fabrics.
This fabric is cotton, fairly lightweight (more fashion than decor) but I liked the French pattern. I used craft-weight interfacing and fusible web to create the body of the bin. The handles are made from pressed fabric strips with wide black ribbon attached with no-sew tape. It worked better than the pattern instructions which were to sew a thin fabric tube then flip it and press it. Also, I liked the contrast of the black ribbon on the inside of the handles.
It’s actually a bit floppier than I’d like it to be, so I think next time I’ll use stiffer interfacing or possibly foam core.
The inside lining called for a contrasting fabric which I did not do, but I think I will on my next bin.
Here it is full of Ikea pillow blanks and a comforter…
I used fabric glue and no-sew tape to finish the seams at the bottom (the bottom is connected to the inside of the bin sides, which are left open to insert the interfacing panels for structure.) Basting is for suckers.